[coreboot] Good v3 port candidate for Socket F

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 17:34:33 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm looking for a system to port to v3.  It needs to be Dual socket F.
>
> Here's the "simplified" block diagram of the system that I have:
>
> Opteron - Opteron
> Chipset
>  PCIe
>
> And the system that I need:
>
> Opteron - Opteron
>  |         |
> PCIe       Chipset
>
> Notice that the second socket has an independent link to a PCIe controller.
>
> The Tyan s2895 would work, but I need socket F.
>
> My question is if you know of any Socket F systems that would fit the bill.
> I'm especially interested in what chipsets they use.  I'd like to port it to
> Coreboot-v3.

Here are some candidates that I've found:

Tyan Thunder n6650W (S2915-E)
- NFP 3600 + NFP 3050
- 3600 support in v2, but not 3050.  Any guesses how hard it would be?

I'm guessing that IO 55 is the NFP 3050.  If so, these boards would be
similar to port:
Tyan Thunder n6650EX (S4989)
- 4 processors

Supermicro H8QM3-2
Supermicro H8QMi-2

These boards are 4 Opteron + MCP55 + AMD 8132 (PCI-X instead of PCIe)
Supermicro H8QM8-2(+)
Supermicro H8QME-2(+)

I'm still looking at other vendors' sites.  Not all of them make it
easy to see how the chips are connected.

Thanks,
Myles