[coreboot] flashrom not working - asus p5q (ICH10R)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Dec 22 01:52:08 CET 2008

Hi Thomas!

Thomas Prochaska wrote:
> today i tried the flashrom utility from coreboot-v2 svn trunk.
> this is the output:
> -----
> fin at xiix:~$ sudo flashrom
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Can't mmap memory using /dev/mem: Invalid argument
> -----
>
> therefore i want to ask you if my chipset is unsupported.
> maybe you can shed some light on this.
>
> my system:
> asus p5q
> debian/gnu linux (sid) (debian standard kernel 2.6.26.1, customized
> vanilla 2.6.28-rc8)
>
> i tested it with both kernels and got same results.

Please check that CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM is not set in your kernel
configuration. If it is set (I believe at least debian has it set)
flashrom can not work properly.

> also i wanted to ask if it's possible to support this motherboard
> if i help you and test stuff and so on.

Yes, it should be possible to support your board. ASUS has had tricky
board enables in the past, but hopefully yours isn't one of them.

//Peter