[coreboot] Fwd: [RFC] Here we go... the SLOF biosemu forcoreboot-v3

Pattrick Hueper phueper at hueper.net
Tue Dec 16 00:29:16 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Pattrick Hueper wrote:
>> Ok, i will change the Kconfig name and the directory.
>>
>> I would not like to change the filename biosemu.c cause that makes
>> merging with the slof.git harder.
>> Would that be ok?
>
> If that file is effectively the entire work, then I think it could
> definately have the same name as the project/repo/directory.

It is not the entire work, only the entry point for BIOS emulation and
setup code.

Work is split into several files:

- Interrupt Handling in interrupt.c
- memory in mem.c
- I/O in io.c
- VBE in vbe.c
- some generic device functions in device.c
- ...

> On the other hand, it is of course expected to have descriptive
> file names, which makes biosemu.c a good name for a file doing BIOS
> emulation in any case.

Ok, i will leave it as it is then.

> However - would it not be desirable to unify enough code so that you
> can use the same repo both for SLOF and coreboot?

Yes, thats why i want to keep the filenames the same, makes keeping
one repository and pushing into SLOF/coreboot easier.

>> One more thing... YABEL currently needs 1MB of memory for its
>> "virtual" memory to store INT Vectors, ROM Image, ... it is
>> currently hard coded to 16MB, should i move this to Kconfig as well
>> and what would be a good default location?
>
> It could go into Kconfig but users should not be bothered with it.
> Maybe make it changeable for experts only.

Ok, i will do that and sent updated patches.

> Or implement an algorithm in code that looks at available memory and
> navigates around any reserved areas. I like that better.

That sounds great but i will probably do that in another step?

Patty