[coreboot] LPCflasher rename to Paraflasher

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Thu Dec 11 22:58:33 CET 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:54:13 +0100, Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 02:17:18PM -0600, Ken.Fuchs at bench.com wrote:
>> Joseph Smith wrote:
>>
>> > I was thinking of renaming the LPCflasher Project to the Paraflasher
>> > Project. It will have the ability to flash more than just LPC chips
>> > so I think it should have a more generalized name hence the
>> > Paraflasher (Parallel Port Flasher) Project. What does everyone
>> > think? If no one strongly disagrees I will go ahead and change it.
>>
>> Great, now can someone update the old LPCflasher page to link/point to
>> the new Paraflasher page.  The old LPCflasher page provides this clue:
>>
>> There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page
>> title in other pages or edit this page
>
> We could do that (I removed the old LPCflasher wiki page), but is it
> really needed? The page explicitly said that there are no external links
> to it (or there shouldn't be) and this is all work in progress.
>
> If possible, I'd like to get rid of that page ASAP (before more people
> bookmark it or link to it). If there are already many links to it we
> can add a redirect, but I'd like to avoid it. Everybody should bookmark
> the Paraflasher page.

Sorry If I caused any confusion. The only external link I am aware of is
from my site which I will update immediately. Yes any bookmarks/links
should be updated to reflect the Paraflasher page. Also note that the
Project is still a work in progress and that until we get software up and
running and can actually flash a chip, I wouldn't recommend it for the
general public. That is unless you would like to help out software
development. This is why it is an orphan page.

Update: I think I am going to use a parport user-space driver (ppdev). But,
I am having a hard time understanding how the code should be laid out. The
parport doc explains each component of the driver pretty well, but does not
really explain how it should all go together. Any help on this would be
much appreciated. For the initial test I am going to try a very simple LED
blinking on the data lines.

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith