[coreboot] [RFC] Here we go... the SLOF biosemu for coreboot-v3

Pattrick Hueper phueper at hueper.net
Wed Dec 3 23:22:29 CET 2008

Hi,

as mailed earlier, i took the IBM SLOF biosemu code that i wrote for
IBM and included it into coreboot-v3.
The SLOF code is opensourced under a BSD license at
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/power/pa-slof/

Here is my git repository containing the code:
git://patty-server2.hueper.net/coreboot-v3_biosemu

This repository is actually a git svn clone of the coreboot svn, with
the plain unmodified biosemu copied from SLOF and my integration
patches for coreboot-v3 on top of it. (starting with a commit "add
.gitignore")

I know that the current state is neither very clean nor very nice from
a patch point of view... i wanted to create a state where i could stay
as close as possible to the original sources while showing the steps
needed for coreboot-v3 integration.

If i compile this coreboot-v3 code for qemu it initialises a plain
unmodified cirrus card in qemu, which was my primary goal. I verified
this with a buildrom build with coreinfo as payload, which can use the
textmode to display its info.

There are some changes to the original x86emu code (adding bswap
opcodes, some debugging output, ...) which i needed for other PCI
cards initializations (IDE/Ethernet) but i still think they make sense
to be added to x86emu.

I am not quite sure where i would like to go from here, the code
obviously needs some cleanups, and as i said earlier i would love to
try to get it working in qemu-ppc since the code is designed to be
pretty much architecture independent (some basic functions are needed
but should be easy to port...  i already ported them to x86/coreboot
from ppc/OF)

If you would rather see a patch series, i can try to come up with a
git format-patch created patch series.

Comments very much welcome!

Cheers, Patty