[coreboot] qemu dts fixes

Jordan Crouse jordan at cosmicpenguin.net
Tue Dec 2 00:29:06 CET 2008

Myles Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Jordan Crouse <jordan at cosmicpenguin.net>wrote:
>
>> Myles Watson wrote:
>>
>>> This patch updates qemu.  It takes out the bus construct from the dts,
>>> adds
>>> the dts for ide, isa, and acpi.  It changes the default for ide to
>>> enabled.
>>> It makes it so that only the plugged in cards are dynamic.
>>>
>>> Since it's harder in emulation to tell if chips are cards or on the
>>> mainboard, I may be wrong with the VGA card.  Help?
>>>
>> Excuse my ignorance, but why does it matter?   They are on the PCI bus
>> regardless of where the logic lives, right?
>

> It matters for the expansion ROM.  If it's onboard, then coreboot has to
> include it in the lar, otherwise it just reads the "card's" ROM.  It also
> changes the logic of whether or not we set subsytem IDs.

So the defining criteria isn't "onboard or cards", its "need a ROM or
not" - because not all onboard GPUs require an option ROM in the main
system ROM - some can use an attached EEPROM (as do soldered down NICs
and other such devices).

Its not a huge deal, since I see where you are doing with it - but it
might relieve some confusion if we called it "need_optionrom" instead of
"on_mainboard".

Jordan