[coreboot] My romcc needs verification.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Aug 27 17:38:05 CEST 2008

Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I could use some pointers on romcc. About ten to twelve rom-images
> have emanated on my workstation and the target boots as it should,
> but a few times (not every) the output from the emulator has contained
> pointers on invalid code, such as:
>
> 0002:2c5f: 00 ILLEGAL EXTENDED X86 OPCODE!
>
> or
>
> 0000:4002: 01 ILLEGAL EXTENDED X86 OPCODE!

This message is coming from the x86emu. Your VGA option rom seems to go
off board. Please send the full log.
> Now I took to the measure of testing romcc with the delivered
> test suite. Most unfortunately this fails as the trailing text
> demonstrates.

I'm not sure whether they're all supposed to pass at all. Eric?

> My question is this: Is it me that cannot figure things out
> properly regarding the use of romcc? Is it gcc-3.3 that is
> falling short, or does Coreboot apply tailored options to
> romcc, options that I did not find so far.

The two problems you are seeing are completely unrelated. Though,
updating your gcc to at least 4.2 might make sense.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613