[coreboot] Vendor Cooperation Score

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Thu Aug 21 17:30:42 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:20:40AM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > In particular I'd like to see the 'Example and support code' section fleshed
> > out a bit more; some examples of code like that and/or vendors doing the
> > right thing would be great. I'm a little fuzzy as to what kind of code this
> > is.
> >

> New point:
> "Provides example code via e-mail, no NDA/license agreement required"
> should be equivalent to web page with click-through license or better.

Fixed. The Alix.1C now has four hares!

> "Code is freely available under a free software license. It can be
> downloaded on the web after agreeing to a click-through license." What
> happens if the click-through license is the GPL?

Many people seem to do this (cf. any free software install for OS X), but it
does not make sense to do so - there's nothing in the GPL that requires a
click-through if you want to use the software.

> > Also, the score is heavily skewed towards documentation right now (80 out of
> > 124 points). I think that is fine but others may think otherwise.
> >
> > I just made up the hackability scores - do they make sense to people? Should
> > a JTAG header be rewarded higher than it is?
> >

> IIRC for some processors a JTAG header is simply not an option.

Ah, good point. Not sure what to do about that though in terms of scoring.
Hrm, that hardware gets penalized a bit (5 points they can not get).

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator