[coreboot] K8 and Fam10 CAR

Marc Jones marc.jones at amd.com
Mon Aug 11 23:29:56 CEST 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi Yinghai,
>
> can you please look at the problems below?
>
> On 06.08.2008 18:54, Marc Jones wrote:
>
>> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>>
>>> I'm currently working to unify K8 and Fam10 CAR to use the same code at
>>> runtime (as opposed to buildtime #ifdefs). While this may not be a goal
>>> for v2, I definitely want to try it for v3.
>>>
>>> A few questions/comments about the CAR code:
>>> - Only Fam10 APs are treated specially. APs of older generations seem to
>>> be unhandled. Did older generations treat each core as BSP (code seems
>>> to suggest that) or were there other special provisions?
>>>
>> I don't know. I haven't used or worked on that code. YH would be the
>> better person to ask. For the fam10 code there are some settings that
>> can only be set from the AP cores.
>>

> Older BKDGs indicate that we should treat all APs specially. That would
> be a missing feature in the old code.
>

>>> - CAR goes from 0xC8000 to 0xCFFFF. Assuming GlobalVarSize=0 (untrue,
>>> but easier to calculate), BSP stack will be from 0xCC000 to 0xCFFFF and
>>> AP stacks will be below 0xCBFFF.
>>> * With the current settings (32k CAR total, 1k per AP, 16K for the BSP)
>>> the scheme will fall apart if the highest NodeID shifted by the number
>>> of CoreID bits is 16 or higher. The BKDG indicates that the number of
>>> CoreID bits is 2, so a NodeID of 4 or higher will break.
>>>
>> Yes. This was sufficient for the K8 and was not changed when I added
>> fam10. 8 dual core K8 was the most you could have. It could probably
>> be expended into the rest of the shadow hole (up to FFFFF) if needed.
>> The reason to keep it in the hole is for memory eye finding that will
>> happen from 1MB to TOM.
>>

> We may need to revisit this for Family 10h. What's the maximum number of
> cores in one Family 10h system?

8 quadcore cpus would be a large server setup.

>>> * There is no good place to store the printk() buffer in CAR. On Geode
>>> and i586, the printk buffer runs from the lowest address of the CAR area
>>> to the middle. Keeping that design will result in the AP stacks
>>> colliding with the printk buffer. Limiting the size of the printk buffer
>>> dynamically would work unless there are more than 15 cores in the
>>> system, where even a printk buffer of zero size would clobber one AP
>>> stack. The other alternative is to keep the printk buffer size fixed and
>>> let the AP stacks eat into BSP stack space.
>>>
>> This was the problem I mentioned when you were doing the printk()
>> buffer. You are not guaranteed the use of the cache.
>>

> I think I can fix that. If APs are only started after the BSP has
> initialized DRAM, there is no problem because the printk() buffer is
> relocated directly after DRAM init.

APIC, fid/vid  and other msr init happen before memory. See:
wait_all_core0_started() and start_other_cores() for details
>>> - Is there any reason on any K8 or later processor supported by the
>>> current CAR code not to use 64k CAR?
>>>
>> To leave room for APs? There may have been some concern about small
>> cache versions be introduced?
>>

> The various BKDGs state that L1 cache tag indexes of 00h - FFh are
> reserved for memory training and recommend to use exactly 48k CAR. I
> intend to follow that advice.
> By the way, the AP CAR areas in our code are inside the BSP CAR area.

I think that is ok. IIRC the APs use the BSP cache for their stacks. It
also allows them to share the sysinfo struct.

>>> - Is 1k enough stack for the APs, given some stack-heavy functions in
>>> v3?
>>>
>> I don't know for sure but I would expect it to be ok.
>>

>>> - Can the K8 processors work reliably with 0x1e1e1e1e settings in the
>>> fixed MTRR or can the Fam10 processors work with 0x06060606?
>>>
>> No.
>>

> OK, I will work on a generic code sequence for this problem. Does Family
> 11h need 0x1e or 0x06?

I think that Fam11 will have 0x1e cache type.

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer