[coreboot] Installing coreboot on a Dell Dimension 8300

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 11 07:44:02 CEST 2008

Hello!
I agree with Ron.
So far the one oddity is the blob marked as a Dell specific device. That
might be the super I/O device. I suggest you build the utilities group from
a particular release of Coreboot, v2 or v3 for a suggestion, and try the
superio program.

It should tell you what the exact one is and why.

Also I haven't been keeping up on the machinations regarding hardware
specific problems, but the Intel 82801 family of mother board support just
might not be supported. I suggest you examine the archives for clues.

Two questions remain, one is whose distribution did you install, and the
other is how did you discover this project?

This machine is also a Dimension family member, and I can tell you that
running Linux on it proved to be an especially interesting activity.

Also our two members from AMD will probably disagree with me, but the ATI
designed Radeon video card is typically treated as a framebuffer device
under Linux, more then a conventional VGA adapter.

Also, good luck, and of course my signature comment contains what I'd post
next....
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net

On