[coreboot] patch: add in smbus support for mcp55

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 23:18:26 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
.

> I'm basically asking if we can and want to access some sort of tree
> this early on?

I don't see a need. Early in stage1 you are doing very little with a
very small number of devices, and you pretty much know what and where
they are. I just don't see the need to add the huge amount of code it
would add. I see the beauty of it, but sometimes things can get
overdesigned. This is one such case.

Consider that on the m57sli, which is a pretty complicated platform, we
touch
0:18.x and 0:19.x
usb config space
smbus config space

All of which are known to be there and known as to what they are. I
think we should be very careful to clutter up stage 1-- it's supposed
to be very short and limited and finished quickly.

Bootstraps are always kind of ugly, and stage1 is the ugly bootstrap.
Thanks

ron