[coreboot] debugging symbols for final ROM image

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Apr 21 00:04:11 CEST 2008

On 20.04.2008 20:04, ron minnich wrote:
> I like the idea of the bios always being debuggable. Proprietary
> bios'es strip this info out, of course, and in a lot of cases you can
> learn a lot if you just have the symbol names.
>
> It has to fit, however. Or we can make a symbol file available on the
> web site for each known good board build. I.e., you want to walk
> through some code, you wget the symbol file and use it to examine your
> in-flash coreboot image.

Is there a way to strip out the debugging information from an image
compiled with -g? I would like to have an image without debugging info,
especially for the bootblock and initram because both are uncompressed
and storing uncompressed debug info in a ROM is a total waste of space.
The debugging info for each LAR member can be stored in a separate
(always compressed) member.

By the way, the debugging info is similar to one of the pet projects I
have: Providing a symbol file for the boot block, enabling people to
build initram and stage2 against a given bootblock.

Patch available if anybody is interested.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel