[coreboot] Device mapping problem

Klaus Stammermann klaus123 at ibnoetzold.de
Wed Apr 2 08:39:28 CEST 2008

Hi

> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 01:55:34PM +0200, Klaus Stammermann wrote:
>> At first I can't boot my system with coreboot yet. I changed kernel
>> params
>> so initrd now will be loaded. Used kernel params are now same as in lilo
>> of original system.
>
> What does 'cat /proc/cmdline' on the same disk (but booted with the
> original BIOS) say?
On Monday I will look at this. Now I can't try anything because I am away
on business.

>> There are two differences I think that could be a problem. At first
>> there
>> are two different size of memory detected:
>> coreboot: 222822k/229376k
>> origianl bios: 222384k/229312k
>
> Not a problem, I think.

I think it looks not normal. But ok maybe other changes will solve my
problem.

>> And of course on original bios system DMI 2.2 is started. On coreboot
>> DMI
>> is not present or is invalid.
>
> Not a problem, either. coreboot doesn't provide DMI (not needed).

OK

>> I would set ram size to 0x40000 Kbytes
>
> Do you have 256MB of RAM, is that correct?

Yes, I have 256MB.

>> Enabling VIA IDE.
>> ide_init: enabling compatibility IDE addresses
>
> Looks ok.
>

>> FILO version 0.5 (klausst at thor) Mon Mar 31 14:56:38 CEST 2008
>
> Looks ok.
>

>> boot: hda1:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.splash
>> console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200
>
> This is the interesting part. Are you sure FILO views your disk
> (CF card?) as hda1? Is your /boot an extra partition (mount point) or is
> it part of the "/" filesystem on hda1?
>
> Are you sure Linux views your disk (CF card?) as /dev/sda1? Did you try
> /dev/sdb1?

I think the CF card on an IDE adapter is hda1. First parameter
(hda1:/boot/vmlinuz) shows where kernel is. Because of loading it I think
this should be the correct device name.

> The dmesg from below says:
>   Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=Zenwalk ro root=801 splash=silent
> which is quite different. Where does this stuff come from?
>
> I'd also use "splash=silent" in FILO for now, btw.
>
> Have you tried "root=801" instead of "root=/dev/sda1" in FILO (no idea
> what 801 is)?

I didn't try that but I will do it. I wondered about this parameter, too.
Of course I should look for this and what this is for.

>> hda: LBA 2049MB: SanDisk SDCFX-2048
>> Mounted ext2fs
>> Found Linux version 2.6.18.2-34-default (geeko at buildhost) #1 SMP Mon Nov
>> 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006 bzImage.
>> Jumping to entry point...
>> Linux version 2.6.18.2-34-default (geeko at buildhost) (gcc version 4.1.2
>> 20061115 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 SMP Mon Nov 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006
>
> Looks good in theory.
>

>> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
>
> Hm, doesn't look too good, but this also contradicts the
>

>> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> This is your problem. The "root=" line seems to be wrong, thus Linux
> cannot find/mount the "/" filesystem.

Thank you for your help. I know that this is my problem, but I don't know
what is wrong and how I should configure this. I will try your tips and
post the results here.

Greeting
Klaus