[LinuxBIOS] Dummy pci dev for image on a usb flash drive

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Sep 27 11:04:22 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:19:08PM -0700, Baski wrote:
> I want to place an option ROM image on a raw USB flash drive.

Please explain why, otherwise we can't help you much.

> It will be an option ROM image of a proper controller with correct
> option ROM and PNP headers. How can we make linuxBios to look for
> this drive and allocate dummy pci resources like bus 0 dev-xx, fun
> yy and irqs?

First, LB has no USB drivers. You could move what is in FILO over
though.

More relevant is the fact that LB can't allocate resources to
hardware that does not exist. Unless you have the controller itself
it's not possible to set any resources. They are set in registers
(RAM) that is mandatory for PCI cards to have (the so called PCI
config space) and no card means nowhere to set things.

Furthermore, option ROMs are not really "compatible" with LB, the
idea is to try to use existing open source drivers with LB instead of
binary blobs with broken interfaces.

So - what do you want to accomplish with your idea? There may be a
better way to do it, or it may be best to forget the whole thing.
We can't say without more info.

//Peter