[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS from Dell

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:07:23 CEST 2007

On 9/25/07, Robert Vogel <vogel at ct.metrocast.net> wrote:
> Doesn't someone make a motherboard with a socketed, replaceable BIOS ?

not really. it's far more common nowadays to pre-flash the chips
before they are soldered down. To reflash, you use the vendor program.
If it goes badly, the machine is a brick.

> prerequisite for an open machine.

There are no open machines any more. Well, there are a few. But,
increasingly, the machines we use in the x86 world are closed. People
don't even realize it in most cases. It's getting worse, and unless
people start paying attention, we are going to end up in a world of
closed platforms again. (that's part of the talk I am preparing for
the next linuxbios get-together)

> Are there hiding places in the chipset too ? How closed are the chipsets ?

Depends on the vendor.

ron