[LinuxBIOS] Enabling APIC

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Sep 23 00:53:44 CEST 2007

* Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> [070922 21:59]:
>> Linux never knows about your APICs...
>
> Odd, you need a Multiple APIC Descriptor Table for a single cpu? Looking at
> the spec, that seems to be the case, will get to work on it.

yes, because you have two apics ;)

>> have you tried booting acpi=off ?
> yes. But APIC doesn't work without ACPI (by design?).

Aw. right. I think there is no way of describing "Use these APICs" to
the OS with PIRQ and MP table.

In Linux, once you use ACPI for some things, you need to play the full
game or you will run into _weird_ code paths.

>> So you need to enable CONFIG_IOAPIC or CONFIG_SMP in your Options.lb.
>
> Already taken care of, just CONFIG_IOAPIC since this is a uniprocessor
> system.

You caught me disobeying the "read thread first, then answer" rule while
catching up on emails.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613