[LinuxBIOS] linuxbios support for thinkpads?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 00:18:28 CEST 2007

On 9/19/07, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 07:04:01PM -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:
> > Robinson Tryon wrote:
> > > Would writing to Intel (if only to be counted as one more data
> > > point) help at all?
>
> No.

I just ran across an FSF web page in support of LinuxBIOS, and on that
page the FSF suggests writing directly to Intel:

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html
"Send e-mail to Intel, asking them to cooperate with a fully free
BIOS. Also send them a snail mail letter at:
Intel Corporation
2200 Mission College Blvd.
Santa Clara, CA 95052
USA"

If it's the opinion of the LinuxBIOS project that writing to Intel
isn't helpful, what else can I and other persons do to put pressure on
Intel (and like companies) to get them to release specs on their
laptop chipsets and embedded controllers?

If AMD is being much more supportive of the LinuxBIOS project than
Intel, what about approaching them?  If I'm not mistaken, there are a
couple of AMD employees on this mailing list who are (were?) actively
engaged in getting LinuxBIOS to work with various AMD chipsets...