[LinuxBIOS] linuxbios support for thinkpads?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 00:41:59 CEST 2007

On 9/18/07, Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> wrote:

> Correct. No laptop whatsoever (except for the OLPC) is supported by
> LinuxBIOS at the moment. We definately like to change that, but at the
> moment there's no support at all.
> The last chipset which was added was the Intel 810. Supporting new
> chipsets is a _major_ piece of work, so don't expect this to happen
> every week or so...

So Intel doesn't want to open up the specs on their hardware, whereas
AMD is willing to play ball (at least to some extent) ?

Would writing to Intel (if only to be counted as one more data point)
help at all?

I thought that Intel had a pretty good track record with the FOSS
community, what with their wireless cards and integrated graphics
cards having nice, open drivers... but perhaps it was all about the
money and they didn't actually care about maintaining a relationship
with the community at all...