[LinuxBIOS] CrashFree BIOS 2 on ASUS mainboards

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Sep 14 23:36:55 CEST 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 03:49:18PM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> But I found that the board has a feature called CrashFree BIOS 2,
> where the board flashes the BIOS by itself, when something is wrong
> [1, page 73 or 4-4].
>
> Has anybody experience with this feature? Or does it get deleted
> when using flashrom?

These recovery features are usually software only. Ie. they will be
overwritten if you use flashrom to write LinuxBIOS.

Uwe's suggestion to get a second flash chip for experimenting is
really very good. That way you don't have to worry about making the
system unbootable.

This is an Intel chipset so you need FWH flash chips.
SST49LF004B-33-4C-NHE will work well for you.

Is the flash chip socketed on your mainboard? Look at
linuxbios.org/FAQ for help with finding out.

//Peter