[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS panic room

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Sep 5 01:31:14 CEST 2007

On 04.09.2007 11:38, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [070830 01:51]:
>> I'd say it should accept a lar archive via serial console, perhaps using
>> ymodem, and start executing the first member of the lar.
>
> I really like the idea. BUT: The one thing that seems unclear is where
> would we store that lar archive? On the BIOS chip? RAM seems no option
> as it is not initialized yet.

What about outputting the size of CAR and how much we have left of it
over serial and then allowing to use up to 70% (arbitrary) for code
download? That should be enough room to download and execute RAM init
code, unless the CPU has really tiny amounts of cache. Even then we
could try to split the code and use RAM-over-serial (ok, that's a real
hack, but it would work).

Once RAM is running, we could use a different panic room mode as we have
megabytes of main RAM for payload download.

Carl-Daniel