[LinuxBIOS] different versions of the GA-M57SLI-S4 (PLCC vs SPI)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Sep 3 02:43:16 CEST 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 01:43:27AM +0200, echelon at free.fr wrote:

> > > They are about 5 or 6 cm apart.
> >
> > It's not really possible to tell from visual inspection. Maybe
> > with some measurements.
>
> Indeed it is!!! But NOT in the way this datasheet
> (http://www.ite.com.tw/product_info/file/pc/IT8716F_V0.3.zip)
>  says! Here are the real connections I found on my board:
>
> super_io-pad55 -> spi_chip-pad5 (SI)
> super_io-pad56 -> spi_chip-pad6 (SCK)
> super_io-pad60 -> spi_chip-pad2 (SO)

Good news. Then we can make flashrom work.

> super_io-pad61 -> spi_chip-pad1 (nCS)

Is this a 0 ohm connection?

> nHOLD (pad 7 of spi chip) and nWP (pad 3 of spi chip) are not
> controlled at all by the super io chip!

Correct.

U5-HOLD# and U9-HOLD# are pulled high by R84.
U5-WP# and U9-WP# are pulled high by R128.

WP# can be pulled low using the BIOS_WP jumper, through R127 which
I believe connects to R102-2.

So, about the CS# signals then.

If CS# is a direct connection I think U5-CS# and U9-CS# should be
lifted from the board and pulled high independently, then a switch
added which connects one chip's CS# pin back to the U5-CS# pad.

> I have a little question : does someone have a more up-to-date
> version of the DS of the it8716 chip? It seems to me that the
> version that can be currently downloaded on the ite website doesn't
> match at all the chip revision used on gigabyte mobo.. (regarding
> the electrical interface at least..)

I can't find any other documentation than that either.

The M57SLI board with SOIC flash has a version C 8716, I guess
they've changed the pinout.

--8<-- 0.3 data sheet cover page
Please note that the IT8716F V0.3 is applicable to D version and
future versions.
-->8--

//Peter