[LinuxBIOS] GA M57SLI _really_ supported?

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Fri Oct 26 16:38:23 CEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 12:03:29AM +0200, Torsten Duwe wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > There are 2 pci slots. We've managed to enable one of them; the patch is
> > not in the repo yet, but you can find the thread here:
> >
> >   http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2007-September/024688.html
> >
> > There's a patch there to that enables the pci slot not on the edge of the
> > board.
>
> Only one? That's strange. You mean
> http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2007-September/024816.html ?

No, this is it (the thread continued into this month):

  http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2007-October/025385.html

I think we can probably get the other one working by fiddling some more with
the registers. I tried the most obvious things but to no avail yet.

> > I was not aware of PCI-E issues. I am successfully using a PCI-E video
> > card.
>
> That depends on your definition of succesful. I run an X850 radeon in that
> slot. There's no picture before X is up, and X startup alone takes two
> minutes thirty seconds or so.

I have picture before X is up.

There's a workaround for the slow X startup; add

 Option   "NoDDC2"

to your X config, as documented here:

  http://linuxbios.org/index.php/GIGABYTE_GA-M57SLI-S4_Build_Tutorial

I have not had time yet to investigate the real cause of this problem.

> Glxgears performs at 20% of the possible
> maximum, most probably because I'm not able to get a single interrupt from
> the card. But there is a picture and some acceleration, so you may call that
> succesful.

... we should fix all this.

> Which card do you use? Do you see interrupts from it? (make sure
> glxinfo/driinfo says dri: yes and run e.g. glxgears)

It's an nvidia-based card, and I use the free (nv) driver, not the
proprietary nvidia driver. Hence, no acceleration, and hence I have not
experienced those problems. We should fix this though. What version of the
board do you have?

Suggestions on getting the interrupts sorted out?

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>