[LinuxBIOS] ASUS MB with Embedded Linux

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Thu Oct 11 23:48:57 CEST 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 09:38:12AM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> It's interesting as it is an Intel chipset.
>
> Folks have known how to make Linux into an EFI-replacement for several
> years. I have heard  that Linux can easily replace EFI, and is loaded
> after PEI. PEI has most of the really secret sauce anyway. I wonder if
> this is what asus is doing?
>
> I guess there is demand for this, I bet there could be way more demand
> for Linux in FLASH than for EFI, if more people knew that companies
> can put Linux in FLASH in place of EFI.
>
> Open source continues to push proprietary, closed solutions out of its way.

Nice.

Do you have any prediction on when EFI is going to (attempt to) hit the
consumer market?  I assume it will be when the Vista transition has finished,
and either after or simultaneously with the win64 transition [1].

[1] which I have my doubts wether it'll happen at all:
    http://catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)