[LinuxBIOS] IRQ plz help!

Thomas Ekstrand thomas.ekstrand at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:12:58 CEST 2007

2007/5/30, Juergen Beisert <juergen127 at kreuzholzen.de>:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 15:34, Thomas Ekstrand wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > This is most certainly incredible easy for some but I feel lost in the
> > dark! :) I want to use linuxbios on a custom system board based on the
> > broadcom blast. It boots like a charm but most of the IRQs are wrong. The
> > default is wrong and the getpir generated table is bogus and after
> > filling the irq_table.c manually there is still no change!
> > It seems as it doesn't matter what I put in the irq_tables.c.
>
> How did you try it? With Linux? Does Linux support your interrupt router?
> When I tried to create a valid irq_table it took me hours to see, Linux didn't
> know my router. After adding this support it worked immediately.

I believe it is known, the OS is built for the board :)

> > It is so frustrating to have a working system that can't do anything
> > because of the missing irqs, how do you guys do it? I have'nt found
> > anyone with a similar problem on the list!
>
> Did you tried with "irqpoll" as kernel parameter? Maybe it could help to find
> the real interrupt routing.
>
> Juergen

Stupidest thing not to think about that...!
Thanks for the tip! Now at least 3 out of 5 network ports are working.
not the ones i'd like to work ofcourse :P (the onboard Gb in HT2000)
but still it is progress.

funny thing though, the irq_table that was read out of the standard
bios is an exact match of the one that getpir now produce when booted
from linuxbios. previously the whole table was zeroed exept for the
usb device, no matter what i put in the table. :P

>Second most common problem. how complex is the board again?
>

>ron

A good explanation on the wiki of where and how the IRQ assignment is
done would be nice. Also good to know is how the board specific files
can be customized to fit your needs like irq_tables.c and mptable.c
Maybe even some tips on how to proceed in troubleshooting these
problems. I'd still like to know to how to change my configuration for
it work without passing the irqpoll parameter.

I Don't really know the difference between it and a standard blast,
but um... how complex can it be? ;)

Thomas

side question:
While trying to fix this i tried compiling without mptable but the
this resulted in a system hang at "Firmware type: LinuxBIOS" straight
after etherboot downloaded the .elf image and before the command line
appears on screen. how come?