[LinuxBIOS] question about Config.lb

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon May 28 23:08:09 CEST 2007

On 5/28/07, Ben Hewson <ben at hewson-venieri.com> wrote:

>     device pnp 2e.a off end        #  ACPI

it's a pnp (multi-function) device
The pnp can not be probed as PCI is, so we tell Config.lb that the
base address is 2e
(PNP devices usually appear at 2e or 4e)
On base address 2e, it is device 0xa
It is not enabled -- this is a common enable setting, at byte 0x30 in
the pnp device
config space for all pnp devices.

Since it is off, there are no real parameters to program it.
End ends the block.

I will be glad when we move to dts syntax :)

Why does this enable ACPI? I wonder if this comment is a mistake. We
would have to look at the chip itself to see.

>     device pci 11.4 on end        # ACPI
>
> this I have turned to "ON" and the ACPI is now being configured.

great, an ACPI-knowledgeable person will have to tell us what an ACPI
device does. My ignorance is unlimited in this area .

I am just glad OLPC does not do ACPI -- maybe OLPC will help kill ACPI
in the long run :-)

thanks

ron