[LinuxBIOS] Progress on ASUS A8N-E

Jeremy Jackson jerj at coplanar.net
Sat May 26 20:32:19 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-26 at 15:35 +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 02:46:53PM +0200, Philipp Degler wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 May 2007 01:59:01 Jeremy Jackson wrote:
> > > I'm working on a Tyan S2865 board, similar except the SuperIO chip.  I'm
> > > having trouble with only one of four PCI slots generating interrupts.  I
> > > wonder if you can try a PCI network card or something and post your
> > > status?
> > actually the asus board has 3 pci slots. I plugged in a 3com network card. The
> > device was found and the module loaded but the assignment of an interrupt
> > failed. I would assume this is an mptable issue.
>
> Does the "irqpoll" kernel command line option help?

unfortunately not.  I'm convinced the mptable is correct, as I have
verified the physical wiring of the PCI slots with a multimeter.  Based
on the slot that has all 4 PIRQ[A-D] working, these should work.

If interrupts were being generated, but mptable was wrong, wouldn't the
kernel complain about a spurious interrupt (and hence work with
irqpoll)?

I think my next step will be to attach a counter/timer to the PIRQ lines
and see what's going on.

As for the HOWTO, that's basically what I've done, and the IRQ steering
can't be related because of the zero ohm connection between the PIRQ
pins of all 4 slots.

What would be really helpful is to hear a report of someone with a CK804
that has more than 1 working PCI slot.

Also I'm looking for a PCI card that I can easily check interrupt
pending status from a register, PC parallel printer port comes to mind,
I'll have to look at the Linux kernel driver source.

Regards,

Jeremy