[LinuxBIOS] ASUS M2N-E (Non-SLI) Motherboard MCP55 - Re: ASUS M2N-E (Non-SLI) Motherboard MCP55 - Support? - Re: ASUS M2N-E (Non-SLI) Motherboard MCP55 - Support? - newbie. (Uwe Hermann) Yes I want to help!

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri May 25 21:40:47 CEST 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 06:57:07PM -0500, Jonathan King wrote:
> Yes I am willing and able to help in any way needed!

OK, great!

> I just need to grab a PLCC32 puller and another 2+MB chip.  Sources on the
> chip?  I will try to order one tomorrow.

Most electronics stores should have some, a few are listed here:
http://linuxbios.org/FAQ#Where_can_I_buy_BIOS_chips_.28empty_or_pre-flashed.29.3F

> I have an ITE IT8716F-S Super I/O chip.  Looks like it is fully supported.
>
> > Do you have a null-modem cable for serial debugging output?
>

> Yes, I have a null modem cable and a laptop that I can use to run any O/S
> needed

OK, first step is trying to get serial output.

Please make sure you have:

 - A Linux distribution installed on some hard drive (IDE, but SATA might
   work, too) on the M2N-E. A recent kernel would be good.

 - GRUB configured to boot the kernel with the options
   'console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200' and attach your null-modem cable
   on COM1 on the M2N-E board and any COM port on another machine. This
   should get you serial debugging output using (e.g.) minicom on the
   second computer.

 - A working flashrom setup to flash ROM images on the BIOS chip.
   What's the output of running 'flashrom' (without options) on the board?
   What's the output of 'flashrom -V'?

Please post some more information about the mainboard:

 - lspci -n
 - lspci -vv
 - lspci -tv
 - lspnp -v
 - cat /proc/cpuinfo

As far as I can see this board is very similar to the GIGABYTE
GA-M57SLI-S4, so for now we'll just modify that one.

Please apply the attached patch (which doesn't really change very much).

Then build a FILO payload which is configured to display serial
debugging, and use the GRUB from your hard drive to boot the kernel.
Enable the maximum amount of debugging.
The result should be a /tmp/filo.elf file.

Then build the linuxbios.rom image by doing

 $ cd targets
 $ ./buildtarget gigabyte/m57sli
 $ cd targets/gigabyte/m57sli/m57sli
 $ make

The resulting linuxbios.rom image should be 512 KB (if your current ROM
chip is of another size, please let us know; that would require some
changes in a Config.lb file).

Now flash the linuxbios.rom on some BIOS chip using flashrom and boot
with the newly flashed LinuxBIOS.

Please record all the serial output in a file and post it here...

Thanks, Uwe.