[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS wiki entry on Products page for Artec DBE61

Martin-Éric Racine martin-eric.racine at artecgroup.com
Fri May 25 15:19:08 CEST 2007

Uwe Hermann kirjoitti:

> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 02:08:30PM +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
>> I would just like to point out that Artec Design is a daughter company
>> of Artec Group, thus the wiki entry for our DBE61 should read:
>>
>> "Artec Group [www.artecgroup.com] runs LinuxBIOS on their Geode LX
>> - -based DBE61 ThinCan [www.thincan.com] system."
>
> Fixed, thanks.

Thanks for fixing this.

In passing, I would also mention that LinuxBIOS is only used for booting
our recent Geode LX product (DBE61).  Unfortunately, our previous Geode
SC2200 product uses a custom bootloader instead. Luckily, I notice that
LinuxBIOS has a tree for older Geode products, so booting the old DBE60
from LinuxBIOS should be possible as well.  If anyone is interested in
trying this, we still have a few hundred units of DBE60 left in stock.

>> On another wiki entry, please note that Linutop is NOT shipping with
>> LinuxBIOS. It currently runs on a commercial BIOS. This shall be
>> remedied once USB booting support on LinuxBIOS has stabilized.
>
> Hm, then the Linutop wiki is wrong:
>
>   http://www.linutop.com/wiki/index.php/Developers#Upgrading_to_LinuxBIOS
>
>   "Standard Linutop units already come with LinuxBIOS pre-installed."

That was indeed the goal for Linutop booting and my understanding is
that LinuxBIOS developer Stefan Reinauer has a sample unit on hand
towards finalizing the USB support in FILO.

> What wording should we use in our wiki instead? Suggestions?

Good question.  Something to the effect that LinuxBIOS will soon replace
the commercial BIOS currently being used, making the Linutop a very rare
platform running on Free Software from head to toes?

> Feel free to use this list for discussing the USB booting issues, I'm pretty
> sure someone is willing and able to help. And/or send patches. Patches
> are always welcome :-)

If anyone is willing to help Stefan improve USB boot support in FILO,
this would be most welcome and would certainly benefit a lot of other
hardware projects as well, not just our ThinCan product line.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
Business Development Manager