[LinuxBIOS] patch for EPIA vt8231_early_serial.c

Ben Hewson ben at hewson-venieri.com
Tue May 22 19:17:40 CEST 2007

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:41:16PM +0100, Ben Hewson wrote:
>
>> on the down side I am still experiencing the odd random hang
>>

> After power off/power on or after reset?

I mostly notice it after a power on as I usually power off after
reflashing the ROM. Once it hangs a reset will sometimes start it. Other
times I can sit there reseting it for quite a few attempts without luck,
at which point I usually reboot with the original BIOS.

 From the output it appears to be sticking in ram initialisation,
possibly reading the SPD info, however all of the SMBus functions appear
to have timeouts so I don't think it should hang, unless they are not
working properly. Of course the hang may just be coincidental with the
SPD stuff and have nothing at all to do with it.

> Did disabling UART interrupts eliminate the hangs?

It didn't appear to. I did still get some hangs. Often just changing a
single line of code may make things better or worse, however the hang
always seems to happen at 1 of 2 points.

Does ROMCC warn if it runs out of registers ?

>> and power off still does not work with ACPI only compiled into the
>> kernel.
>>

> Which board do you have again?

I have the standard EPIA  vt8601 NB, vt8623 SB.

> Can you compare ACPI tables between factory BIOS and LinuxBIOS?

How do I go about getting that info ?

Ben