[LinuxBIOS] Booting into MSDOS

MARTIN WOODHOUSE hokusai at btinternet.com
Fri May 18 22:02:31 CEST 2007

Hello Adam

  We had limited luck booting Win98 which is the dos. Get disk reading
(int13) working reliably and you should be 95% there.

  Yes, this is at least partly confirmed since I am currently running all my
  existing Illumination books on a Windows 98 machine, which has no
  trouble dropping into DOS in order actually to run (that is, to read) all
  the books without error.

  Each book is launched by clicking a Windows batch file, which performs any
  inits needed, opens a (black) DOS window (as Run does) and then launches
  the Illumination reader itself in DOS.  Closing the book drops back out of DOS
  and into the Windows desktop again, as one would hope.

  On a Windows 98 machine, then (I'll check what CPU) the whole procedure
  is easy and bug-free.

  Question, then :   will LinuxBIOS allow booting from (specifically) a RAM device
  in one of the USB ports?    If so, I can almost certainly make a bootable
  RAM-stick, one vague area being that Illumination runs
  in VGA graphics mode?

  Cheers,  Martin

--
Adam Sulmicki