[LinuxBIOS] ALi M1621 support and general support for other NBs

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu May 17 13:14:28 CEST 2007

* popkonserve <popkonserve at gmx.de> [070517 12:52]:
> i'm currently implementing raminit functions for the ALi M1621
> (Aladdin-Pro II) chipset.

great!

> They should be working without any SPD data at least for the detection
> of the RAM type and size(s). In general i think that size and type
> detection is the same on most chipsets (if not all) especially if it
> comes to EDO/FPM detection.

Can't SPD data just be used to do that?

Size and type detection definitely wont work without SPD-ROMs for SDRAM
and all kinds of DDR.

> SPD data should be used for timing parameters only..and even if there's
> no SPD data at all generic speed detection methods could be applied (set
> aggressive timings, write data, read back and compare, adjust timings if
> necessary).

On DDR we use SPD for everything. Why do you say it should not be used
for sizes ?

> still a question remains: should we add overclocking options somewhere?
> maybe in the config file?

First thought: No.

Second thought: If it does not waste the algorithms and keeps them
readable. Why not..

> as this would be my first contribution: is anybody willing to take a
> look into the sources? i guess they could be adapted for many older
> socket7 chipsets easily.

Sure. When you have something working, send it to the mailing list. No
code gets into the repository without being reviewed first, so there is
plenty of opportunity for discussion

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613