[LinuxBIOS] SPD Logical and Physical Banks

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Tue May 15 23:19:25 CEST 2007

Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:24:26PM -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:
>>> I'll post a draft soon, so that people can see which functions are
>>> affected. This needs an abuild-run and tests on a bunch of different
>>> hardware targets to make sure nothing breaks...
>> Well, if you want to compare notes at all, I've attached my raminit.c
>> (the file, not a patch).
>
> Oh, that's fine. Those were not the sort of SPD functions I was talking
> about, we didn't duplicate any work :-) Your functions merely _use_
> SPD functions (or spd_read_byte/smbus_read_byte per se), if at all.
>
> I posted a draft patch of my SPD refactoring stuff for preliminary review...

Yep, I've been looking over it. Definitely a WIP, but good work! And
good to know my work wasn't for nothing.

>> If you could, please maintain the MODEL_440ZX
>> stuff, as that's necessary for 440zx support. MODEL_440ZX will be
>> defined in the mainboard auto.c, once this is all up and running, and
>> those ifdef's are the ONLY differences between the two northbridges.
>> However, there's no way to detect the difference at runtime that I can
>> find, so a define is the only real way.
>
> Hm, why is that? Don't they have some sort of different IDs we can read
> from some register?
>
> But if that's not possible, a #define is fine too, IMO. It's great that
> you planned for merged code beween 440BX/ZX/FX/etc.

Not as far as I can tell, even the revision codes are shared between the
two. Perhaps some IO register varies, I haven't checked those yet. The
device IDs, etc, though are all identical, and the datasheet was made in
such a rush they forgot to change "bx" to "zx" in several places. A
define might be the best way anyways, since the north bridge will never
vary (in normal situations) between one boot and the next.

> Maybe we should rename the 'i440bx' directory to 'i440xx' later to make
> it clear that (later) multiple chipsets will be supported?

Sounds good, but lets not mess anything up for the moment. I'll probably
sneak that in when I send in the p2-99's patch, once everything is up
and running. Not sure how many other chipsets we'd be able to cram in
there, some of the other 440-series are quite a bit more different (lx,
gx), so perhaps 440bx_zx (or something similar) would be more appropriate.

-Corey