[LinuxBIOS] [OT] Routers using linuxbios?

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 19:54:29 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 5/15/07, Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 02:55:50PM -0700, roger wrote:
> > >           First of all thank you for answering to my query.
> > > I'm still slightly confused. As per Linuxbios wiki page says it is to be used
> > > also in embedded devices. I have been reading the wikipedia pages on the
> > > the Linksys WRT54G series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series
> > > as well as OpenWRT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWrt . Is something like that
> > > possible in the near or far future? Also what do u mean by no x86 compatible
> > > routers? Can u direct me to some layman literature or something which
> > > does tell me
> > > exactly which types of routers linuxbios supports now and will support
> > > in the near future.
> >
> > I have a WRT54G here.  If I'm not mistaken, the Linksys Router box uses
> > a MIPS processor.
>
> Routers seem to be using all kinds of systems, MIPS, PowerPC, ARM, x86
> (not very often), maybe more...
>

> > >From my understanding, it takes very little to bring up the Linksys
> > WRT54G?
>
> Have a look at OpenWRT, DDWRT, FreeWRT, etc. (free firmware for lots of
> these types of routers).

   I have been looking at the alternatives. While don't know about the others
but this is not so nice to see of DDWRT http://xwrt.blogspot.com/

> Sure, it would be nice if someone would add support for ARM, MIPS, etc.
> to LinuxBIOS, but currently we don't support those architectures.
>
> For routers where there's OpenWRT support it's not that pressing to have
> support, either (IMO). But it would sure be interesting to support
> "high-end" embedded MIPS, ARM, PowerPC stuff...
>
> Any volunteers? :-)
>

> > Also, maybe embedded, meaning the EPIA motherboards?
>
> Yes, that too. Different people call different things "embedded" ;-)
>
> Via Epia and Geode systems are popular examples for what I would call
> "high-end" embedded systems.
>

> Uwe.
> --
> http://www.hermann-uwe.de  | http://www.holsham-traders.de
> http://www.crazy-hacks.org | http://www.unmaintained-free-software.org

 Thank you all for your answers. Will keep an eye on if and when you guys do
get it on some  <bold> X86-compatible</bold> router :)

- --
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17