[LinuxBIOS] [OT] Routers using linuxbios?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Tue May 15 17:58:20 CEST 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 02:55:50PM -0700, roger wrote:
> >           First of all thank you for answering to my query.
> > I'm still slightly confused. As per Linuxbios wiki page says it is to be used
> > also in embedded devices. I have been reading the wikipedia pages on the
> > the Linksys WRT54G series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series
> > as well as OpenWRT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWrt . Is something like that
> > possible in the near or far future? Also what do u mean by no x86 compatible
> > routers? Can u direct me to some layman literature or something which
> > does tell me
> > exactly which types of routers linuxbios supports now and will support
> > in the near future.
>
> I have a WRT54G here.  If I'm not mistaken, the Linksys Router box uses
> a MIPS processor.

Routers seem to be using all kinds of systems, MIPS, PowerPC, ARM, x86
(not very often), maybe more...

> >From my understanding, it takes very little to bring up the Linksys
> WRT54G?

Have a look at OpenWRT, DDWRT, FreeWRT, etc. (free firmware for lots of
these types of routers).

Sure, it would be nice if someone would add support for ARM, MIPS, etc.
to LinuxBIOS, but currently we don't support those architectures.

For routers where there's OpenWRT support it's not that pressing to have
support, either (IMO). But it would sure be interesting to support
"high-end" embedded MIPS, ARM, PowerPC stuff...

Any volunteers? :-)

> Also, maybe embedded, meaning the EPIA motherboards?

Yes, that too. Different people call different things "embedded" ;-)

Via Epia and Geode systems are popular examples for what I would call
"high-end" embedded systems.

Uwe.