[LinuxBIOS] Current Status of DFI P2XBL (440bx w/ w83977ew)

roger roger at eskimo.com
Thu May 10 07:45:53 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 00:08 -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:
> roger wrote:
> > BTW: I've set up my asus/p2b/auto.c to mimmick the tyan/s1846/auto.c
> >
> > So DRAM *should* be working and getting to at least elfboot.
> >
> > Only things I can think of would be DRAM timing too.
>
> roger, only test with one dimm for now, single sided if possible, and in
> the first slot. It's very possible that dram init is only working for
> the first dimm. Once that's working, try to get the rest going. And
> afaik, the timings being used right now (CL3) should be safe/sane for
> any sdram dimm. Also check that your dimm(s) are capable of running the
> same speed as your cpu's frontside bus, I haven't looked at the code
> recently but I'm going to guess that it's still set up to statically set
> the ram to the same speed as the fsb. When I was working with it, I was
> using an old 466MHz celeron (66MHz*7) and PC100 ram to make sure this
> was a non-issue. Let me know if you need a cpu with a slower fsb, I must
> have a few dozen old celerons and pentium 2s kicking around, socket 370
> and slot 1.
>
> Also, asus p2b's auto.c is fixed in the latest revisions ;)
>
> Good luck!
> -Corey

Thanks for the Good luck! .. think it helped.. noticed, as usual, I was
using DIMM Bank 2 instead of 0.  Now it boots.

So the main issue, DIMM Banks 1 & 2 (for this 3 DIMM Bank board) needs
to be empty and only one DIMM in Bank 0!

Here's proof.  Granted, it only shows "Jumping to Linuxbios"

Ram4
Testing DRAM : 00000000-0009ffff
DRAM fill: 00000000-0009ffff
000a0000
DRAM filled
DRAM verify: 00000000-0009ffff
000a0000
DRAM range verified.
Done.
Testing DRAM : 00100000-007c0000
DRAM fill: 00100000-007c0000
007c0000
DRAM filled
DRAM verify: 00100000-007c0000
007c0000
DRAM range verified.
Done.
Copying LinuxBIOS to RAM.
Jumping to LinuxBIOS.
LinuxBIOS-2.0.0.0Fallback Wed May  9 15:55:10 PDT 2007 booting...

I should be seeing next roughly "end 35a51f17, start 1" and PCI
enumerating. More stuff to look over at this point as the Config.lb
isn't entirely filled with PCI bus data.)

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html

Wed May 9 22:39:30 PDT 2007