[LinuxBIOS] Geode GX1 PCI, VGA and Sound configuration -- was Re: Televideo TC7020 successfully booted with LinuxBiosV2

Juergen Beisert juergen127 at kreuzholzen.de
Tue May 8 10:51:15 CEST 2007

Hi Correia,

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 10:05, Luis Correia wrote:
> If I use irqpoll commandline switch, the system seems to work properly
> but there are still IRQ related issues.

That is fine. With a running target like this you will be able to create a
valid irq routing table. Documentation how to do I will send in a separated
mail.

> Where can I get this kernel patch?

Attached.

> > > I wasn't aware of the driver existed.  I loaded the driver but the
> > > VGA is still not on.   I will read documents of the driver.
> > >
> > > tv:~# modprobe gx1fb
> > > gx1fb 0000:00:12.4: 4096 Kibyte of video memory at 0x40800000
> > > Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
> > > fb0: GX1 frame buffer device
> >
> > Hmmm, should work. Don't know why it fails in your system.
>
> i've given up setting up the VSA for the Geode.
> Is there any workaround or any other thing we could use to enable VGA?

Do not use any VSA. You really not need it.

> I'm lost here... :)
>
> The VGA is not a priority for me as the main function for this board
> is being a router. Only the serial port really matters and that one is
> already working.
>
> Besides, if the VGA is not enabled, the board is more power efficient
> (not that is matters, it's more like an excuse)

Sure.

> > > CONFIG_X86_REBOOTFIXUPS=y in ther kernel  config fixed the problem.
> >
> > Ack.
>
> My board does not reboot as well (a reset is needed) i'll investigate it
> also.

My system reboots since my first try to run LinxuBIOS on it. So I have no idea
what could be going wrong within your hardware.

> > I can send you my whole embedded project. It contains graphics (special
> > framebuffer driver and Xorg, both with acceleration), audio (not finished
> > yet), irq-routing table (but for my hardware only) and a build system to
> > build a cross compiler and the root filesystem, kernel and LinuxBIOS.
>
> I'm also interested in it, i'll contact you off list to sort out how
> I could get it.

You are welcome.

> BTW, how good is it when decoding video streams?

Due to the lack of video hardware (no NTSC/PAL decoder) in my system: No idea,
sorry.

Juergen