[LinuxBIOS] Fast path resume, high-level design

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri May 4 04:31:25 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 05:55:39PM -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Mitch wrote a fast path resume from RAM for the OLPC Geode
> hardware.

The fastest path is obviously attractive also in LinuxBIOS.

> Once you've done that, you find that you've done just about
> everything to initialize the hardware in the first place; so that
> code is now used both at boot time and at suspend from RAM time.

This is an interesting observation.

Perhaps all chip init would best be written in some macro language?
(one specific for the task?)

How much intelligence is actually needed to abstract the hardware
enough for any system to be initialized? C is obviously not useful
for an embedded system that could just write a table of registers
into hardware.

I guess it's the old code reuse idea.

Perhaps I just reinvented OpenFirmware? And the v3 dts.

//Peter