[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBios on a braille display ?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri May 4 01:48:39 CEST 2007

Hello,

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 08:41:05PM +0200, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
> Does it mean that every hope is lost,

Not yet.

> would it be possible to use an external BIOS to do the development,

Yes, but it must then replace the flash chip soldered to the
mainboard, so the original chip has to be desoldered. Also the
required equipment for this (a ROM emulator) is currently a bit
expensive at a few hundred dollars. However, the FLASH-PLAICE which
is being developed around a $150 hardware platform could be used once
the software and firmware for the PLAICE is ready.

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 08:47:50PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> This is indeed a Geode GX1 system (though there is a lot of stuff
> around it).

Did you happen to take a photo of it?

> The chip most probably responsible for holding the BIOS is labelled
> AM28F040B-90ED

Yep, this is a 4Mbit == 512kb flash chip from our friends at AMD.

> and is indeed soldered on the board through very thin pins.

Could you identify the packaging? Please see:
http://linuxbios.org/FAQ#How_do_I_identify_the_BIOS_chip_on_my_mainboard.3F