[LinuxBIOS] OFW vs LinuxBIOS or C vs Forth?

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Thu May 3 19:36:17 CEST 2007

ron minnich wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Bari Ari wrote:
>> > C vs Forth.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if this was the main reason for the switch from
>> > LinuxBIOS to OFW? What were the other issues involved and why did OFW
>> > seem to be a better fit for OLPC? Were there any other politics
>> involved
>> > (logic vs feelings, corporate, personal agendas or governmental
>> > influences, etc.)?
>>
>> Yes.  I know all the gory details.  I'll write up something later on
>> discussing it.
>
> I'd rather it not be posted to this list. It's just too much flame
> bait. We can start a private discussion, I suppose.
>
> The folks who made the call had their own reasons for making that
> decision. We should  respect their judgement.

I agree. Being a CEO of a high tech firm, I am interested from the
sociological and business administration perspectives on this. I don't
mean to bring kindling to an area ripe for a flame war. I'm partial to
1's and 0's myself. I just wish to compare notes.

We were working on a project similar to OLPC last year. Sub $100 Linux
PC's for nations developing their digital voice, video and data
networks. Computex Taipei is supposedly focusing on that sector of the
PC market this year.
http://www.computextaipei.com.tw/overview/general_en.shtml

-Bari