[LinuxBIOS] [patch 0/4] AMD Geode LX support for LinuxBIOS

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu May 3 18:42:08 CEST 2007

* Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> [070503 12:01]:
> > The VSA binary source is LGPL and is available at:
> > http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=geode-vsa
>
> Wow! Now I'm impressed. This is really great news!

This code has been out for quite a while, and it is really great stuff
although it will be hard for most LinuxBIOS developers to compile it
themselfes. It means that we can build binary images in the build system
and have them prepacked with the VSA code though, making deployment of
LinuxBIOS for the Geode LX platform very easy for the users.

OFW does not use the VSA at all anymore (as far as I know, please
correct me if I am wrong), since running the modules was slowing down
the boot process quite a bit (compared to the rest of the boot time at
least)
So one question is in my mind: Can we implement the setup done by VSA
as native LinuxBIOS code, and does it make sense? What are the draw
backs in such a scenario?

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613