[LinuxBIOS] Booting windows from LinuxBIOS

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu May 3 16:25:23 CEST 2007

Quux wrote:

> Myles Watson schrieb:
>> The Register is reporting that OLPC is going to produce a version that boots
>> windows.  Does anyone know how they are planning to do it?  Are they still
>> going to use LinuxBIOS? Will it affect the Google Summer of Code project?
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/30/windows_on_olpc/

The media is all jacked up.  This is the result of the country meetings
we had last week.  "OLPC switches to windows" makes a wonderfull
headline.  They have a bunch of crazy facts in those articles.  We are
doing damage control with the media almost daily.  Take what you read in
the media with several grams of salt.

MS on OLPC uses a different legacy bios not OFW or LinuxBIOS.

 > from what I understand they try to get MS into the boat. For cost
 > reasons LinuxBIOS will still be choice #1. --Q

You understand incorrectly.  We did not "try" to get MS into the boat.
They came by themselves.  OLPC is as open of a platform as we can make
it and still get the job done.  This means that if some one like MS
wants to boot their OS on it then they are free to do so.

MS can read the datasheets and they did just that.  But just because
OLPC _can_ run windows does not mean it _will_.  The official OS of OLPC
is Linux.

--
Richard A. Smith
smithbone at gmail.com