[LinuxBIOS] Suggestions for LinuxBIOS v3

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed May 2 23:32:51 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 04:37:55PM -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:

> Yes, but who wants to see a text console on their brand new pda,
> embedded pc, or carpc? I personally like text console as well, but gotta
> think about end users too. Bootsplash should be an option, IMO, but I
> don't much care for the idea of a bios setup option, it would take up
> too much space and be too much of a hassle to deal with. LinuxBIOS is
> not Award/Phoenix/AMI BIOS, and shouldn't have to emulate them. When
> LinuxBIOS is used in embedded products, it should never need to have any
> setup options changed. If it's used on a desktop system, lxbios should
> be available, and there should be a fallback option in place should
> something go wrong, such as a payload for booting from USB, etc. Just my
> 2 cents.

When things are working well, one shouldn't have time to notice a VGA
console. It's when things aren't working well when you're really really
glad that the "nasty", "old" vga console is there.

> > Really, what is this drive for GUIs. What's wrong with a nice command
> > line utility.
> <snip>
> > X.org driver developer.
>
> Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds this ironic :p
>
> -Corey

I've been fighting VBE for years. Which is why my driver was so happy
with plain linuxbios. I'm not about to start a direct VBE replacement,
it only makes driver developers lazy.

Luc Verhaegen.