[LinuxBIOS] Suggestions for LinuxBIOS v3

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed May 2 22:59:31 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:36:00PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:10:33PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:49:53AM -0700, Vlad wrote:
> > > 1) Bootsplash in both LinuxBIOS and bootloader, with a message
> > > along the lines of "Press the Esc key to change boot options".
> >
> > Bootsplash is overrated :)
>
> In your opinion. I don't care much for it either, but I definately
> understand why people like it.

True, but most people don't understand how involved modesetting is.

> > I very much like VGA text mode, you know where you stand with VGA
> > consoles.
>
> I also think that text mode has many benefits, but not everyone
> likes it, and that is fine, even good.
>

> > > 2) An X.org utility for changing boot order, as opposed to an
> > > ncurses-based one. This allows the user to use the mouse to drag
> > > and drop devices in the list. This alone would place LinuxBIOS
> > > ahead of proprietary BIOSes in terms of usability.
> >
> > YUCK!
>
> Please remember, you will not be forced to use this utility, Luc.
>

> > What would be wrong with a curses utility? ( For those who prefer a
> > bit of bling that is)
> >
> > Really, what is this drive for GUIs. What's wrong with a nice
> > command line utility.
>
> CLI is not for everyone. Personally I also like CLI, but that does
> not matter. Unless a product is comfortable it's users will run away
> screaming. It makes sense to have all the options available so that
> there's something to suit everyone.

Playing with linuxbios is not for everyone either. The drive should be
towards adding hardware support, not towards blinging a few side
utilities. Linuxbios will not become more widespread because of a gui.

> > If you need a gui to configure and flash your bios, then maybe
> > you shouldn't be touching your bios at all.
>
> I disagree strongly with this statement.
>
> Technology must be adapted to man, not the other way around.
>
> I think one big benefit of open source is that it allows consumers
> rather than producers to do these adapations. A smart consumer with
> a bit of time on her hands will do so much better than any producer.

Right, but the question here is how to spend that time. Turning things
into a gui, tracking the more involved dependencies and API/ABI changes,
that is not a good way to spend ones time.

Plus, if done improperly, this will reduce the ability to rework things
to match different hardware. We should work towards the best technical
solution, not the most glamourous.

Luc Verhaegen.