[LinuxBIOS] Suggestions for LinuxBIOS v3

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed May 2 22:52:52 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 04:37:55PM -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:
> I don't much care for the idea of a bios setup option, it would
> take up too much space and be too much of a hassle to deal with.

It must be optional! But I think it has a lot of merit.

> LinuxBIOS is not Award/Phoenix/AMI BIOS, and shouldn't have to
> emulate them.

No, I want to do so much better than them. Having a LinuxBIOS
boot-time setup utility that just does what's in a random factory
BIOS would mean we failed horribly in the creativity department.

> When LinuxBIOS is used in embedded products, it should never need
> to have any setup options changed.

No, sure, but you may want to set them sometime. Probably before the
product is in production.

> If it's used on a desktop system, lxbios should be available, and
> there should be a fallback option in place should something go
> wrong, such as a payload for booting from USB, etc. Just my 2
> cents.

I think we can do much better than the lxbios utility. :)

//Peter