[LinuxBIOS] Suggestions for LinuxBIOS v3

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Wed May 2 22:37:55 CEST 2007

Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:49:53AM -0700, Vlad wrote:
>> 1) Bootsplash in both LinuxBIOS and bootloader, with a message along
>> the lines of "Press the Esc key to change boot options".
>
> Bootsplash is overrated :)
>
> I very much like VGA text mode, you know where you stand with VGA
> consoles.

Yes, but who wants to see a text console on their brand new pda,
embedded pc, or carpc? I personally like text console as well, but gotta
think about end users too. Bootsplash should be an option, IMO, but I
don't much care for the idea of a bios setup option, it would take up
too much space and be too much of a hassle to deal with. LinuxBIOS is
not Award/Phoenix/AMI BIOS, and shouldn't have to emulate them. When
LinuxBIOS is used in embedded products, it should never need to have any
setup options changed. If it's used on a desktop system, lxbios should
be available, and there should be a fallback option in place should
something go wrong, such as a payload for booting from USB, etc. Just my
2 cents.

> Really, what is this drive for GUIs. What's wrong with a nice command
> line utility.
<snip>
> X.org driver developer.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds this ironic :p

-Corey