[LinuxBIOS] Suggestions for LinuxBIOS v3

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed May 2 22:10:33 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:49:53AM -0700, Vlad wrote:

> 1) Bootsplash in both LinuxBIOS and bootloader, with a message along
> the lines of "Press the Esc key to change boot options".

Bootsplash is overrated :)

I very much like VGA text mode, you know where you stand with VGA
consoles.

> 2) An X.org utility for changing boot order, as opposed to an
> ncurses-based one. This allows the user to use the mouse to drag and
> drop devices in the list. This alone would place LinuxBIOS ahead of
> proprietary BIOSes in terms of usability.

YUCK!

What would be wrong with a curses utility? ( For those who prefer a
bit of bling that is)

Really, what is this drive for GUIs. What's wrong with a nice command
line utility.

If you need a gui to configure and flash your bios, then maybe you
shouldn't be touching your bios at all.

Luc Verhaegen.
X.org driver developer.