[LinuxBIOS] reliable boot loader

Capt Beany captbeany at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 23:02:09 CEST 2007

Following a failed kernel upgrade of a remote linux
box im looking for a replacement to my current boot
loader (GRUB) that will fall back to a previous kernel
if the new one is corrupt and was wondering if filo
could fit the bill (either as is or with some changes)
?

The system in question has software raided disk for
redunancy but this doesnt help when the boot kernel is
corrupt.

What I hope to achieve is that once the boot loader is
running, it will scan the systems boot devices for
files containing boot information (the files would
either be text files with a known extension or binary
files with a magic number) that contain the
kernel/ramdisk filenames, the kernel/ramdisk
checksums, a boot priority and the checksum of the
file itself.

It should then be possible to select the highest
priority kernel/ramdisk to boot, checksum it and if
this checksum fails fall back to the next
kernel/ramdisk pair.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to the
problem ?