[LinuxBIOS] uart_init hangs?

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Thu Mar 29 10:15:58 CEST 2007

Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 01:34:59AM -0400, Corey Osgood wrote:
>> Okay, so now I'm getting something, after I moved early_mtrr_init to the
>> start of auto.c. It looks like question marks in hexagons, all across
>> minicom's screen, but it is actually working.
>
> Don't give up, yet. This looks good, you're getting output. Now it's
> "just" a matter of finding the part of the init code which is not quite
> right, yet.
>
> Try explicitly setting everything which is marked as default in the
> datasheet, maybe there's some hardware quirk/bug... Also, is there any
> errata document for this Super I/O?
>

> Uwe.

Success!!

After trying every combination of configurations and tweaks I could
think of, I got pissed off at it, so I decided to nuke the code and
grabbed an SMSC chip and ported it over. Works perfectly! I'm not quite
sure still where your code wasn't working right, but the generic pnp
functions used by the smsc seem to be doing the trick just fine. Uwe,
when you get a chance, can you give your code another shot? It may be I
just messed something up somewhere. It's not terribly important, since
I've got something working, but I'd like to know if it was just me or not.

-Corey