[LinuxBIOS] Fallback checking normal

Thomas Ekstrand thomas.ekstrand at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:25:34 CEST 2007

Is there a date set for LinuxBIOSv3?

> > If not, why?
>
> The mechanism works in a real life check. A flag is set
> before the image is jumped to, and that flag is cleared by
> the OS loader (or by the OS, if you wish). Whenever the
> system is booted with the flag set, it uses the fallback
> image instead of the normal image.
>
> So this check does not only check for a correct checksum, but
> whether the normal image was actually able to boot the OS.
> This makes this feature not only usable for flash failures
> but also for developer failures. ;-)
>
> > How is LinuxBIOS support for:
> > SMBIOS
> > SMI
>
> LinuxBIOS does "support" having those (ie. it does not
> prevent them) but does not implement any system management
> functionality, as it is not needed (and even discouraged) to
> have them. What do you need them for?

Donno, just checking things out! :)
I'm doing a technical report on LinuxBIOS as part of a school project.

Maybe it can be of some use in the documenation or something?
I will say that I'm no expert so it's basically a summary of what you
can find on the internet. but still...

> > Vmware
>
> Some people on this list have been working on vmware support.
> See the web archive.

Is there a search engine for the archive?
It's kinda hard to know which month to look at :)

> Stefan
>
> --
> coresystems GmbH • Brahmsstr. 16 • D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.
> Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
> Email: info at coresystems.de • *http://www.coresystems.de/*<http://www.coresystems.de/>

 Thanks for taking your time!
/Thomas