[LinuxBIOS] Distros

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Fri Mar 16 13:37:16 CET 2007

Quoting Steven James <pyro at linuxlabs.com>:

> Greetings,
>
> I had the same issue with FC3, but it resolved when I reduced the size of
> the code a bit. For some reason, Fedora's objcopy apparently misses the
> real error and then has another problem.
>
> G'day,
> sjames
>

> ||||| |||| |||||||||||||  |||
> by Linux Labs International, Inc.
>    Steven James, CTO
>
> 55 Marietta Street
> Suite 1830
> Atlanta, Ga 30303
> 866 824 9737 support
>

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
>
>> Quoting Corey Osgood <corey_osgood at verizon.net>:

>> > Well, just for the record, I've intalled FC6 x86 in QEMU from the DVD
>> > iso, and tried both with and without SELinux enabled, and I had
>> > absolutely no build errors on several targets (via epia, asus p2b, and
>> > a couple tyan boards). I didn't even have to turn off stack protectors,
>> > and this is a fully updated system. I'm not sure where your error was
>> > coming from or even what it was, sorry. Enjoy Gentoo, cya again in a
>> > week or so when you're done compiling the base system ;)
>> >
>> > -Corey
>>
>> Hmm very strange. Both Ron and I tried it on FC5 and FC6 with no luck??
>> This was the error:
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>> cp linuxbios_ram.nrv2b linuxbios_ram.rom
>> echo '/*ldoptions*/' > ldscript.ld; cat ldoptions >> ldscript.ld ; for
>> file in  /root/LinuxBIOSv2-2564/src/arch/i386/init/ldscript.lb
>> /root/LinuxBIOSv2-2564/src//cpu/x86/16bit/entry16.lds
>> /root/LinuxBIOSv2-2564/src//cpu/x86/32bit/entry32.lds
>> /root/LinuxBIOSv2-2564/src//cpu/x86/32bit/reset32.lds
>> /root/LinuxBIOSv2-2564/src//arch/i386/lib/id.lds ; do echo /\* $file
>> \*/ >> ldscript.ld; cat $file >> ldscript.ld ; done
>> gcc -m32 -nostdlib -nostartfiles -static -o linuxbios -T ldscript.ld crt0.o
>> nm -n linuxbios | sort > linuxbios.map
>> objcopy --gap-fill 0xff -O binary linuxbios linuxbios.strip
>> objcopy: linuxbios.strip: Bad value
>> objcopy: linuxbios.strip: Bad value
>> make[1]: *** [linuxbios.strip] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/root/LinuxBIOSv2-2564/targets/rca/rm4100/rm4100/normal'
>> make: *** [normal/linuxbios.rom] Error 1
>>
>> Maybe I will try a fresh install of FC6???
>>
>> Thanks - Joe

I would like to report I did a fresh install of FC6 and it seems to be
working fine now. I am able to build just about everything exept one.
The digitallogic adl855pc. I think the code is broken in the i855pm
northbridge somewhere but I can't seem to put my finger on it.
Cananyone confirm this? Would someone try to build it for me to see
what happens?

Thanks - Joe